If you look up the word “insomnia” in a dictionary, you’ll see it defined as the inability to sleep. In a basic sense, that’s what it is. But that’s just a small part of the story.
People with insomnia generally have problems getting to sleep and/or staying asleep. If you suffer from insomnia, chances are you regularly experience one or more of the following:
- You find it hard to get to sleep at night
- You wake up during the night
- You wake up early and can’t get back to sleep
- You feel tired after waking up
- You feel worn-out, irritable and have trouble concentrating during the day
- You find it difficult to nap in the daytime even though you are tired